Intra-Company Transferees (L)

The L Visa

Multi-national corporations and small companies looking to expand abroad can equally take advantage of the L visa, which is broken down into two categories:

  • L1-A Visa – Managers and Executives

Designed for employees of multi-national corporations to be transferred to work in the United States in an executive or managerial capacity.

  • L1-B Visa – Specialized Knowledge Workers

Specialized knowledge workers possess specific knowledge or skill that one outside the company would not normally possess. Examples include workers that have knowledge of specific assembly techniques, unique marketing methods of the company, etc.

Both visas require that the foreign corporate entity and the American corporate entity have a qualifying relationship (parent/subsidiary, joint-venture, branch office, etc.) that is demonstrated on both a financial and operational level. The standard of proof for this requirement tends to be high.  Demonstrating the relationship requires an attorney that is experienced in analyzing financial statements and corporate documents, and compiling a petition that meets the standards of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

The spouse of the visa holder is able to obtain employment authorization in the United States, and the children of the visa holder are allowed to attend school.  Furthermore, an L visa petitioner or holder may pursue permanent residency without affecting his or her pending or existing L status.